Sunday, March 17, 2013

How to find if a modeling agency is a scam?


Question by Love: How to find if a modeling agency is a scam?
I've been through 2 modeling agencies that are scams. I'm in Fashion Week here locally and there is going to be several well known agencies watching us such as Elite, Ford, etc. I recently found out a new agency and I googled "scam" "reviews" and nothing bad showed up. There was no reviews, but I know a couple people on Facebook who are signed with them and they have great photos and one of them who everyone says I look like has gone to New York. Should I sign with them or wait until Fashion Week is over and see if those famous agencies contact me? I'm tired of waiting. I did fashion week last year and I got nothing out of it except for some coupons.


Best answer:

Answer by Kittysue
Wait until Fashion Week is over. When it comes to modeling always shoot for the top. If you want to be in Ford or Elite, then try your hardest to get into those. Don't settle for second best as very few people ever move from a small agency to a large one - in a smaller agency they might have 1 model every 10 years who ends up moving to a major agency like Ford or Elite

A legitimate agency should ONLY make money after they book you on a job then take their commission. You should never be asked to pay them for classes, photos or anything else. While a model will have to pay for her own comp cards and test shoots for her portfolio after she gets a contract, this is not paid through the agency - a decent agency should have a list of at least 5-10 recommended local photographers for you to contact on your own and pay the photographer directly. And they met let you use another photographer as long as they can review his or her work first.

If you could either post where you are located or PM me your location, I can try to recommend some legitimate agencies near you, or try to research the agency you found



Add your own answer in the comments!

scam review

No comments:

Post a Comment